Sunday 26 October 2014

37 Weeks Pregnant With Twins - I'm going to be a Mother!

I will be 37 weeks tomorrow and I am truely glad I have made it this far. I'm not sure if talking to my babies does the trick of holding them inside me until now. Probably it does! ;)

Anyway, Dr Tan kept monitoring my blood pressure and my urine tests since 9/10/2014. On 16/10/2014, we had an early morning call from Dr Tan's clinic informing us that Dr Tan had to attend to two births that day at the Pantai Cheras Hospital. So, we agreed to meet Dr Tan at the hospital itself. Upon arrival, I got myself registered and we waited for our turn to see Dr Tan.

My blood pressure was 130/70 and my urine test showed a rather high protein content. However, Dr Tan informed us that my vaginal swab test the previous week (9/10/2014) confirmed that the traces of protein found in my urine sample was due to a bacteria called "Candida" i.e. I had a yeast infection and not pre-eclampsia so to speak. Thus, Dr Tan did a clean urine test this time just to ensure that the protein content found in my urine sample that day was again due to the same infection. My clean urine was collected using a catheter inserted directly into my uretra. Indeed, there was no protein found in my clean urine sample! Phew! So, Dr Tan had decided to see me again in a week's time.

Both our babies were still head down and their heartbeats were normal (Dr Tan did not measure). Baby A was 2.3kg and Baby B was 2.6kg. Dr Tan said my rapid weight gain was due to the water retention. My legs were really very badly swollen and I'd put on 22.5kg.

On 23/10/2014, we saw Dr Tan again at her clinic at Seri Kembangan. My blood pressure was 138/76 and my normal urine sample again contained a high protein content. However, this time, Dr Tan was very confident that the protein could still be due to the infection and she actually fixed a date for me to have the cesarean surgery on my 38th week. But she insisted that I'll still be required to run the clean urine test again that day just to be sure. So, a nurse collected my clean urine but unfortunately, there was high protein content in that clean sample. :(

Immediately, we were called in to Dr Tan's clinic again and she was shaking her head as me and hubby walked in. Well, it's pre-eclampsia and however mild it may be then, Dr Tan did not want to risk waiting for my condition to worsen before I decide to deliver our babies.

Without much options left, Dr Tan said it is in the best interest of both babies and myself to have them delivered as soon as possible, adding that I am already considered full term now.

Both babies were still head down then and their heartbeats were also normal (again Dr Tan did not measure). However, Baby A's amniotic fluid seemed to be on the low side and weighed only 2kg?! Dr Tan said that the reduction in Baby A's weight could be due to pre-eclampsia. Baby B however was still weighing at 2.6kg. I tried not to be too worried. I myself had put on 23.5kg thus far. Gosh!

There was another 'new' discovery. Dr Tan also told us that Baby A's head was pushed down and slightly further away from my cervix by Baby B. Thus, Baby B could now be the elder sibling! Baby B seemed to be fighting his way out to be number one! Hehe!

In preparation of my cesarean surgery, Dr Tan prescribed two more doses of Dexamethasone injections to further mature the babies' lungs. One dose was administered at the clinic itself at about 1.30pm while the other dose I had it administered at the hospital near our house at 11.30pm. Dr Tan informed us that slightly less than 12 hours for the second dose was acceptable.

Hmm...we will be welcoming our little guys on 27/10/2014! Yaay! I am all excited and I can't wait to be finally holding our bundle of joys in less than 24 hours now! ;D

Babies have been kicking away non-stop. They must be very excited too! Haha!

I am feeling good and I hope I will have a smooth delivery...all fingers and toes crossed! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hayzel, I thought I had sent you a comment previously but it appears that I didn't after all. Your blog has really given me hope and I hope to have the same success as you with Dr. Wong. I am an internationally based patient and it is good to hear success stories when there is so much uncertainty around the process.
    I was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing with me what your FSH and AMH levels were prior to treatment? We tried IUI locally 3 times and most recently had to abandon our 1st Antagonist IVF cycle (with Dr Wong) due to low response.. It would be great to know your levels.. perhaps it will give me hope too.. Hoping to hear back from you although it has been a long time since you posted. Trust all is well with you and your family...

    ReplyDelete