Wednesday 12 March 2014

Pregnancy Tests

I survived the two week wait!

I have been contemplating whether to use the home pregnancy kit since the night before yesterday. This is so not me as I have only bought 3 such kits in my whole life. Since this last kit is going to expire on 9/5/2014, I thought I might as well use it. It's one of the Watsons' home brand, a cheap one. Haha!

So, as early as 5.30am yesterday, I jumped out of bed feeling super anxious. I re-read the instructions again while holding my bladder! It reminds me of the day of embryo transfer. Hehe!

I did the test at 5.45am (I couldn't hold any longer!) and to my surprise, I saw 2 lines appeared almost immediately! My hands were a bit shaky and I held my breath. I read the instructions again (I know, I sounded dumb!) to ensure that I did the test correctly. Well, the test line was dark, almost as dark as the control line. I've only seen a faint line once before in my first pregnancy (which ended up as my 1st ectopic pregnancy) so this is quite unbelievable. I was excited!

Shortly after, I told hubby (who still looked like a zombie!) in my calmest tone possible and proudly showed him the test kit. He pretended that it's no big deal but I could see his eyes looking at the 2 lines. He said "Don't think too much, just let things be". I know he doesn't want me set my hopes high. He wouldn't know how to console me if it was a false positive.

I took deep breaths while hubby showered and tried to remain calm. Maybe the kit was faulty because it is nearing its expiry date? Maybe it's indeed a false positive? Or something is just wrong somewhere?

At Sunfert, we got registered at 7.45am and I'd quickly went to the laboratory to get my blood test done. The results will be ready within 2 hours or later. Since our appointment was at 11.30am, we decided to return home. I know hubby has an appointment at 2pm and he suggested if it's ok for me to see Dr Wong alone later. I agreed.

I returned to Sunfert by 11am. My tummy felt bloated and there's some tightness around my lower abdomen. I also felt butterflies in my stomach!

While I waited and waited, one of the nurses recognised me and greeted me with a smile. She asked me how I'd feel but I think I'd just got too emotional with such a simple question that I had tears pooled up in my eyes! Silly me! Part of me was so scared and shaky. The other part was probably just numbness. I don't know...

My name was called. I took another deep breath and walked in to greet Dr Wong. He looked happy, I think, and asked me to sit down. He then congratulated me with a big smile on his face! I must have stared at him...all blank! He gave me the blood test results sheet.

It said 1,071 mIU/ml!! I was totally speechless.

We have hoped and hoped for this for so long and before I'd realised it, I found myself asking Dr Wong if I could cry?! What a silly question?! Dr Wong gave me a hug instead. I cried.

Dr Wong said my hCG level is high so I may have more than one embryo implanted! But I told him that I don't have any symptoms other than the on and off spotting from 6/3/2014 to 9/3/2014. He smiled and said "No symptoms are normal". Dr Wong also said the spotting should be implantation bleeding. He did a tummy scan and concluded that there was no bleeding in my uterus. What a relief!

Dr Wong also said he could only tell whether it's a singleton or a multiple when he does another scan next Friday, 21/3/2014. No heartbeats yet by then, he warned...maybe by the end of March 2014?

I am to continue all my existing medications and pessaries and the IM Proluton Depot 250mg injections (every 3 days) for the next 2 weeks.

Can't wait to see Dr Wong again on 21/3/2014! Wish me luck! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Hey .. So coincidence .. I did my embryo transfer same day with you and get my results on 11 march same day with u too! And my appointment was at 11.45.. ThAts mean you are one patient earlier than mine. I'm currently succeed with triplets and that day dr wong was very happy n told me that all patients were with succeed result n it's his lucky day. He is such an amazing dr and congrats to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HoneyMilk Ice,
    That IS such a big coincidence! Haha! Congratulations! How are you doing? Morning sickness?!
    I understand that Dr Wong would have to do a fetal reduction if it's triplets due to the high risks involved. Would you have to go through that? Hope you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes .. He says I must do the reduction and I'm feeling sad :( ..he says I'm so petite and slim so high risk to have 3. We really got fate and Somemore by coincidence I found your blog! We should keep in touch and perhaps our baby deliver same day and who knows you may be my next bed neighbour .... Hahaha ... My email zoeikhoo.sh@gmail.com. .. How many embryo you get implanted? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi HoneyMilk Ice,
    You really made my day! Delivering on the same day! I'd love that! Hahaha!
    I'm sorry about the fetal reduction. I'm just curious...if you were to stay on bedrest for the whole of your pregnancy, would Dr Wong allow you to keep all 3 babies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got triplets from Dr Wong and he ask use to reduce 1 due to the same reason. But, I choose not to. At the end they we deliver 33weeks. Now, they are 5 months. All 3 of them are very healthy and getting very naughty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Congratulations! How are you coping with THREE babies? I cannot imagine! :) All boys? Haha!
      Are you fully breast-feeding now?

      Delete