Wednesday 29 January 2014

Endometrial Scratching

The term alone actually scares me tremendously! I have never heard of this term until I met Dr Wong for the first consultation on 10/1/2014.

Endometrial scratching is exactly what it sounds like. It is a procedure where the doctor intentionally injures the inner lining of the uterus by taking a small sample from the lining. Yeah, just like having a pap smear. "It has to bleed a little though", Dr Wong explains. This procedure is to be carried out after ovulation but before the planned IVF program. It is reported that the damage caused by the scratch gets the uterus to regenerate and repair itself which increases the implantation rates by as much as 20%, thus raising the odds of pregnancy and life births.

However, it is advisable not to have unprotected intercourse in the four weeks before the planned endometrial scratch procedure, to avoid the risk of a possible pregnancy as the physical procedure is detrimental to any early pregnancy.

Today is day 14 of my menses. My appointment with Dr Wong is at 8am. We reached Sunfert at 7.45am and our queue number is already a 6! By the time I was on the surgical table, it was 10.10am. I told Dr Wong that I believed I'd ovulated on 27/1/2014 and from the vaginal scan, he agreed. By 10.20am, the endometrial scratch was performed! I felt a sudden cramp and an almost immediate tummy discomfort similar to period cramps but the pain is bearable. Hopefully, it is also worth it.

Dr Wong also informed that my AMH ("antimullerian hormone") testing (or simply the ovarian reserve testing) results is slightly below the normal range with a reading of 9.6 pmol/l. The normal range as per the report dated 11/1/2014 is between 14.3 - 48.6 pmol/l. However, Dr Wong explained that such results is expected for ladies of my age. If it is below 6 pmol/l, then I may require further medications. For that alone, I am happy.

When I reached home, there were blood stains on my liners but it was minimal. I rested in bed the whole afternoon and the pain was gone before I'd realised it!

My next appointment will be on day 2 or day 3 of my next menses which is likely during the second week of February 2014. I am anxious to start...fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment